A Program That Focuses on Engaging Fathers to Develop a Meaningful and Healthy Relationship with Their Children.
Positively involved fathers enhance their children’s academic, personal, and social development. Unfortunately, fathers can also have a negative impact when they do not understand their child’s feelings and needs and respond with abusive or controlling behaviours.
The Caring Dads program is a 17-week group program where dads will:
- Create strategies to strengthen the father-child relationship
- Learn to recognize attitudes, beliefs, and behaviours that support healthy father relationships
- Increase awareness of controlling, abusive and neglectful attitudes
- Recognize the impact on children of controlling, intimidating, abusive and neglectful actions including witnessing domestic violence
- Develop skills to cope with frustrating parenting situations
- Develop skills for interacting with children in healthy ways
Individuals may refer themselves or be referred by community agencies.
Individuals are not charged a fee to participate in this program. This program is fully funded by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services.