Partner Assault Response Program (PAR program)
A group for individuals who have been abusive to their partners.
The program is for individuals who have been mandated by the Court to attend the PAR program in response to a criminal charge involving domestic violence.
Prior to participation in the group program individuals attend an intake meeting. During the intake meeting individuals will meet with a group facilitator to discuss their suitability for the program and to determine their fee.
The group program is 12 weekly two-hour sessions.
- Learn about the types of abuse
- Explore how beliefs and attitudes contribute to domestic violence
- Understand trigger/warning signs that precede abusive behaviour and explore positive alternatives to abusive behaviour
- Understand the impact of abuse/violence on self, partners and children
- Understand the impact of substance abuse
- Develop empathy skills
- Learn skills to promote a healthy relationship and respectful communication
- Learn skills to deal with conflict
- Accept responsibility for one’s attitudes and actions
The group sessions are led by a male and female counselling team who discuss with the participants issues related to domestic violence and provide the opportunity for participants to learn non-abusive ways of behaving.
Victim/partners are also contacted through the program.